Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Rally To Restore Sanity And/Or Fear

I watched it live streaming on Comedycentral.com. I laughed, I clapped, I danced and I sang along. I had a blast.

I think that I was hoping that Stewart would provide real world solutions to some of the problems that we as a country are facing. I didn't realize until later that that wasn't the point of the rally, though it did make his message fall a little flat. It felt a little hollow, unfortunately, because it felt like it was all show with very little substance.

But as a friend of mine pointed out, I missed the point a bit.

I am all for sanity in discourse. And it is high time we found that in this country. He was talking about laying down a groundwork for how we work out issues and come to compromises in politics. There are some things that I don't think we should be compromising on (gay marriage, rights to contraception and abortion, separation of church and state, teaching real science in our classrooms, for example) but the discourse we have now, shouting and screaming epithets at each other, are getting us nowhere.

And a friend of mine sent me this, which I enjoyed very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment